Friday, October 2, 2009

poverty

Poverty affects millions of people worldwide. 800 million people go to bed everyday. It’s impossible to understand how many people have so little. When I get hungry, without thinking and grab something from my shelves of food, while so many people have no access to any food.
It’s interesting how many people don’t know the horrible living conditions of people in different parts of the world. Many people in Kenya don’t have access to clean water, if any. People in poverty have had to use the same water throughout the whole community for everything. Using others people bath water to drink is unthinkable.
I believe that children younger than I have to deal with such unthinkable things and still smile are remarkable. I have a rough time dealing with such little selfish matters when millions of people are dying of starvation and thirst. It’s so frustrating when I see someone yelling and getting upset because of not getting a new toy, or a new $50 shirt. People that are so fortunate seem to look at someone who has more, instead of looking at people in places like Sierra Leona and Kenya who are barely surviving.
This topic has really changed the way I look at life. I hope I won’t take so many things for granted, let alone get jealous of someone who has more than me. There’s always someone in a worse position, so why won’t people help? Why do so many people spend thousands of dollars on stuff they don’t need? Why wouldn’t they save lives? These are some questions I want whoever reads this to think about, and do something about.

3 comments:

  1. nice.i really liked your reasosning and points about jealousy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ponyboy, it is clear from your writing that you have put a good deal of thought into the topic. You ideas about always comparing to people who have more than us instead of people who have less are excellent. I encourage you to read your posts closely before you publish them so that typos and missed words don't take away from the quality of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete