Sunday, April 11, 2010

Evensong

Evensong is not something as simple as chair chapel. I used to think there was no point in evensong, and that we should get rid of it all together. I just thought of it as a complete waste of time, that no one liked it, and I never understood why it is a part of SJK.

I don’t like Evensong. It’s boring and repetitive. However, SJK is an Anglican school, so students and parents should expect some religious things. I don’t think that repeating things out of a book is something that students want to do. Mrs. Duldahardt said that some teachers use evensong as a church service. I completely understand and respect that, but should we be forced to participate? I’m not against the school having evensong, but for the people who aren’t religious, it doesn’t do anything for them.

There is much more to evensong then I used to think. I never liked evensong, but I wouldn’t take it out of SJK. It is something that SJK should keep as a tradition, but I think a lot more people wouldn’t hate it so much if they changed it to make it more suitable for this century.

I commented on Brendans Blog, http://bksblog-brendan.blogspot.com/2010/04/evensong.html#comment-form

No comments:

Post a Comment